PRODUCTION CHEMISTRY SECTION
Conduct an applied and basic research in the field of corrosion, failure analysis for metal and materials used in oil and gas industry.
- Microbiological testing of potable water & drinking water (e.g. Total Coli form).
- Microbiological testing of recreational water (e.g. Heterotrophic Plate Count).
- Detection of microbes (e.g. SRB, SOB, etc.) related to the bio corrosion and bio fouling problems in industrial water systems.
- Conduct an applied and basic research in the field of biotechnology.
- Applying biotechnology technique to treat soil contaminated with petroleum products and research concerning the prevention of wax deposition by bacterial hydrocarbon degraders.
Mineral Scale Lab
- Research activities include studies about the formation damage derived from scale formation, compatibility study and the selection of scale inhibitors.
- Static evaluation of scale inhibitors efficiency by using jar test.
- Dynamic evaluation of scale inhibitors under reservoir conditions by
- Using dynamic tube blocking test (PMAC – 4002).
- Thermal stability of scale inhibitors.
- Injection and formation waters compatibility test under reservoir temperature (using incubator oven).
- Analysis of water ions using ion chromatography (ICS-2000).
- Measuring the rate of formation of Barium Sulfate scale by using turbidity meter.
INDUSTRIAL PROCESS SECTION
The Industrial Process Section consists of the following laboratories:
- Process engineering laboratory.
- Reaction engineering Lab.
- Rheology lab.
- Crude oil distillation lab.
- Crude oil properties lab.
- Heavy fuel oil and grease lab.
- Light fuel lab.
The main activities of this section are:
- Routine analysis for crude oil and petroleum products.
- Crude oil evaluation Studies.
- Preparation of Mineral and synthetic lubricating oil base stock.
- Feasibility of producing mineral lubricating oils from Libyan crude oils.
- Conduct scientific and technological research for the implementation of refining, petrochemical and gas processing projects (selection of technologies, feed-stocks, technical and technological solutions for optimum operation and maintenance).
- Simulation, optimization of process operation; study scientific-technological and energy saving solutions to improve the economic efficiency of operating oil and gas processing plants.
Analytical Instrumentation Section
The main role of the Instrumental Analysis Section is to perform different types of testes and analysis in petroleum industry field and other related fields. Instrumental analysis is focused on identification, and quantification of the chemical components of natural and artificial materials. Instrumental analysis section has applications in Geological analysis, Environmental studies and material analysis.
The main laboratories of Analytical Instrumentation Section are:
- Atomic Emission Spectroscopic analysis Laboratory.
- Scanning electron microscope Laboratory.
- X-RAY diffraction & Fluoresene analysis Laboratory.
- Nuclear magnetic resonance analysis Laboratory.
- Organic spectroscopic analysis Laboratory.