Industrial Processing Research Department is one of the LPI main departments in which all research, technical consultations, case studies and services for the oil sector in fields related to downstream activities are carried out. Oil and gas processing, flow assurance studies, conceptual design studied together with production associated problems, such as corrosion, mineral scale, organic deposition, and biological activities are conducted. Among other samples, the oilfield chemicals and specialty products, including scale and corrosion inhibitors, demulsifies and other materials are analyzed and tested to ensure its quality. Full crude oil assay and petroleum products properties are carried out and quality control services are provided.
All laboratory services and studies are accomplished through fully equipped laboratories with state-of-the-art tools and facilities (Standard test methods are used) and up to date commercial simulation software.
1- MINERAL and organic SCALE LAB
- Research activities include studies about the formation damage derived from scale formation, compatibility study and the selection of scale inhibitors.
- Static evaluation of scale inhibitors efficiency by using jar test.
- Dynamic evaluation of scale inhibitors under reservoir conditions by
- Using dynamic tube blocking test (PMAC – 4002).
- Thermal stability of scale inhibitors.
- Injection and formation waters compatibility test under reservoir temperature (using incubator oven).
- Analysis of water ions using ion chromatography (ICS-2000).
- Measuring the rate of formation of Barium Sulfate scale by using turbidity meter.
- Oily sludge evaluation including :
1- Sludge fractionation to total hydrocarbon, water and inorganics
2- Fractionation of total hydrocarbon into n-alkane soluble fraction (maltenes) and n-alkane insoluble fraction (asphalthenes)
3- Fractionation of n-alkane fraction into Saturates, Aromatics, Polars and resins fractions.
4- Quantitative analysis including the percentage of all the mentioned fractions.
2- The Crude Oil and Petroleum Products laboratories
The main activities :
- Routine analysis for crude oil and petroleum products.
- Crude oil evaluation Studies.
- Preparation of Mineral and synthetic lubricating oil base stock.
- Feasibility of producing mineral lubricating oils from Libyan crude oils.
- Conduct scientific and technological research for the implementation of refining, petrochemical and gas processing projects (selection of technologies, , technical and technological solutions for optimum operation and maintenance).
The Crude Oil and Petroleum Products laboratories :
- Crude oil distillation lab.
- Crude oil properties lab.
- Light and Heavy fuel oil and grease lab.
3- Process engineering division
The main activities :
- Simulation, optimization of process operation; study scientific-technological and energy saving solutions to improve the economic efficiency of operating oil and gas processing plants.
The Process Engineering division consists of the following laboratories :
- Process engineering laboratory.
- Reaction engineering Lab
- Rheology lab.